The castle was built in the 15th century. Sometimes the date given is 1425. The first or early occupants were the Mac-Sweeney’s (Sweeney clan).
The Castle remained in their possession for about 200 years. The Mac-Sweeneys ruled the area’s of Rosguill (now Downings & Carrigart). Doe (now Creeslough & Dunfanaghy) Cloughaneely (now Falcarragh ) and Tory Island, from Doe Castle.
Sir Cahir O’Doherty had his headquarters in 1608. The Mac Sweeneys are back by 1641 and Eoghan Rua O’Neill landed at Doe Castle on 6th July 1642 on his return from Spain. Around 1660 an English garrison took possession of the castle but by the 1690’s the Mac Sweeneys return.
The Castle changed hands many times over the years. One of the owners: George Vaghan Harte who bought the castle in 1800 left his initials (GVH) embedded on the wall above the door of the eastern entrance.
The Castle was occupied up until 1909. In 1932 the Irish Land Commission (Office of Public Works) bought the Castle and vested it as a National Monument. The work to restore the castle to it former glory is ongoing, Many legends and stories are told about the castle and the people that lived there.
Turlough and Aileen
Listen to the Tragic love story of Turlough and Aileen